Wednesday 23 November 2016

OMG a year of retirement

I've been meaning to write this post since the begining of October as this marked the end of my first  non working year. I have now been part of the retired from paid work population for just over a year. How did that happen? a full whole twelve months of not getting up at the crack of dawn to be in work for 7am. Initially before making the decision to finish completely I had toyed with the idea of taking a years sabbatical starting in October to coincide with the start of Lovejoys retirement. Oh how glad I am I decided against going down that route as I would now be back in work and knowing myself very well struggling with maintaining a contented life with Lovejoy at home.

I have had the most amazing year but boy has it flown and would I be happy about re-commencing my job? not on your life. I thought I would briefly document my first year at home mainly to show that although travel has been a big part of my year I do have other stuff going on.
My lovelies Grace and Paige

Pythagorio harbour Samos
However, the start of our first non-working year ( I've decided I don't like the word retirement I've not retired from life lol) saw us heading of to Samos with daughters and granddaughter's for a weeks relaxation. Hmm two little tots in tow not relaxing as such but great fun. The mischievous look on Paige says it all.

A selection of my cakes
Samos is the place I love to head off to whenever I can and I keep
meaning to write a post solely Samos related especially as we keep discussing ideas re how we can live there for a big chunk of the year, however pics and the odd few words will have to do for now.

Walking, cooking, playing with my grandaughters and improving my baking skills is the order of the day when at home. We have lots of National trust woodland and estates close to where we live including Hughenden Manor home to Disraeli back in the day and West Wycombe Park home to the Dashwood family famous for  the Hell Fire caves. Lovejoy and I actually got married in the house at West Wycombe park.

A trip to Somerset House and first time ice skating

Baby shower cake




Frozen Elsa cake










Trips this first non-working year included a city break to
Budapest for Lovejoys Birthday in December, two weeks in the sun in Mexico in February, six weeks Greek Island hopping through the summer followed by a week in Gran Canaria again with daughters and granddaughters. We then decided to head back to Samos in September with various UK trips in-between.

House renovations and a brand new baby granddaughter round off this first year at home (or not) lol.

A few pics to illustrate my year        

Pregnant Holly with Paige in Gran Canaria
Lovejoy me and Holly at my Niece's wedding in December


My big four and my little two at my son Tim's wedding. 

out for a stroll in our gorgeous woods

The things we Oldies do, all dressed up with Grace and Paige for Halloween
Hallowen witch I like this look
i'm keeping it lol
Our 2016 Halloween display


Beautiful Samos view with Turkey in the background
I have had the most amazing year and although we have spent a fair amount of money on our travel this is the main reason I decided to finish work early.
I want to see and do as much as I can while I
still have the inclination and energy to do so and before our money runs out lol . Plenty of time for an allotment and chickens in the future I'm just not quite ready yet.

Next year I think I'm going to take some computer lessons I just can't align these photos up properly hey ho it will have to do.
Sea horse found on beach in Samos (not lol) looks like
one though don't you think?














Two Peas in a pod Paige and Priya
Baby Priya




And to top of the most fabulous year the arrival of my new granddaughter Priya who is just beautiful born on the 28th October.

We are very hands on grandparents and because Holly is in her final year at Uni we find these two beauties and Gracie at our house a great deal.

I was anxious at first that taking extended trips would upset me too much I think I thought that they would forget me but although they all miss us when we're away they don't forget us and we all slip back to normal when we're home and
anyway we won't be doing extended trips forever and at least we will hopefully have lots of exciting tales to tell them when they're older and we have succumbed to staying home and growing our own veg.

Mind you my lovely mum who will be 87 next birthday has spent most of this summer in Puglia with her Italian boyfriend ( I kid you not) so I hope I'm still tripping about for a while longer yet dependent on finances of course, I may have to get a job lol.

Well this is just a snippet of what my first non-working year has been about however, ive not

mentioned blogging. Although I don't post as regularly as I'd like I do read and comment on lots of fabulous blogs and I love it. I've really learned a lot this past year from you bloggers out there including how to be more frugal and how to be more adventurous when styling my clothes. Here's to the second non-working year.


























































































































             














25 comments:

  1. It sounds like a fabulous year to me! We have probably another 10 years before we can do that and a dog to tie us down a bit although we do get away when we can. Sometimes photos are the best way to blog, they sure do tell the story. Love all the pictures of your beautiful family :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My blogging is rubbish lol I read some beautiful blogs yours included but I just don't seem to get time to spend on it to make it look better. I'd love another dog at some point but not just yet.

      Delete
  2. So happy to read your year in review. We too are a decade, well maybe 9 years out but will live a year not working vicariously through you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have plenty of fun Sam your Alaska trip and lake house jaunts it all sounds good to me.

      Delete
  3. What a fabulous year you've had. Many congratulations on becoming a grandma again, all your grandaughters are beautiful. I love that your mum is still enjoying life and getting about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jo I adore my girls would be nice to have a boy next lol My mum is a hoot she's good fun and up for a laugh which love I'm very proud of her.

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad I found you Wendy! I've been 'work free' (I don't like the word retired either lol) for nearly three years and love it! I looked at a few of your posts and see that you went to Greece, which is on my rather long bucket list along with Tuscany, a Safari and New Zealand. :)

    Your mom looks so happy, and it's wonderful that she is enjoying life so immensely. You have a beautiful family and many blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Doreen thank you for visiting my blog and complimenting my family. Greece is my passion I love it especially Samos. We are off to New Zealand in Feb for a three month trip taking in Hong Kong Fiji Samoa then NZ Australia and ending with Bali I am very excited. My mum is fab she puts us all to shame lol

      Delete
  5. what a great year! you have a lovely family and grandchildren are cute. What could be better than travelling, I hope to do more myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your lovely words. Travel is my thing at the mo but may not be able to eat soon lol

      Delete
  6. So nice to read a happy, positive post. And what a beautiful family you have.

    I'm tempted to try out the pointy hat look myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love hats wish I had the nerve to wear it out shopping. Thank you for your lovely words re my family I do love my little ones I am very lucky.

      Delete
  7. When I retired I said I'd find a little part time job if I got bored. Six years later I've never been bored and I'm glad to see you are filling your life to the brim with the important things. Keep on doing just that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenny I can't believe how the year has flown how I ever had time to work I don't know. life just keeps on getting better and better.

      Delete
  8. So happy to see a post about your exciting non-working year in review! Your beautiful, adventurous spirit just shines in your posts and pictures and you are an inspiration to me. So happy I found your blog! The grandchildren are beautiful and so lucky to have such fun grandparents!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless you thank you so much. I sometimes think I need to calm down my head is always bubbling with trip ideas and places to go and see I'll probably bankrupt us before long and be forced to go back to work lol ( not a chance)

      Delete
  9. Hi Wendy, just wanted to thank you for your kind and encouraging comment on my blog, I really appreciate it. And look at you, having a fabulous time in your first year of non-working, enjoying lots of travel, good times with your lovely family, and spending time doing the things you love. Sounds like a brilliant plan to me!
    PS. I'm from Bucks originally, my mum and sister still live there. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Curtise thanks for commenting. I love reading your blog I love how it's set out and the fab content so really missed you for a while so I'm glad you're back. Life is a puzzle a lot of the time I spent years on my own with my four kids then met the most amazing lovely man who has taken my crazy loud raucous family in his stride and loves us all very strange lol. Life changes in a nano second so enjoy every minute is my view even the not so good stuff when all we can do is weep is good for the soul.

      Delete
  10. What a fantastic first year, you've certainly made the most of it. What lovely photos and great memories, that's what life's about. Loving the fact your mother is enjoying life to the full at 87
    ( go girl) HaHa. 😂

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm still planning my retirement and hope 2017 id full of fun adventures.
    Coffee i son

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely pictures! Beautiful family. Love your grandkids.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great photos - you've obviously had an amazing year! Thank you for your comments on my new blog. Sending lots of best wishes for 2017. Jx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Wendy, thank you for stopping by my blog and commenting! I loved reading about your first year of retirement. It's quite an adventure, isn't it? You surely packed in some travel--we did some but not a candle to you :) We truly enjoyed our trip to England though and hope to make it back again.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! You have accomplished so much your first year. Good for you! Looking forward to reading many more of your retirement years!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow you go girl! What a fabulous way to spend your first non-working year - and here's to many more! Anna

    ReplyDelete